The A-Series Royal Oak ref. 5402
Extraordinary example of A-Series steel Royal Oak ref. 5402 manufactured in 1972.
Launched in 1972, Audemars Piguet’s Royal Oak was the world’s first stainless steel luxury sports watch with a fully integrated bracelet.
Designed overnight in response to an urgent request for an “unprecedented steel watch”, it was at the same time the most expensive stainless steel watch ever made.
Audemars Piguet sought famed designer Gerald Genta, who developed a brilliantly engineered monobloc case, with a distinctively maritime feel, featuring an octagonal bezel secured by eight hexagonal white gold screws, and a dial with a tapisserie motif.
It most notably housed the extra slim caliber 2121 based on the Jaeger-LeCoultre caliber 920, that would later be found also in Patek Philippe’s Nautilus wristwatch.
Today the Royal Oak has become one of the most iconic and legendary watch ever made.
The production of reference 5402 spanned 25 years, with a total of 6.050 examples manufactured in four different batches: A, B, C and D with small design details that made each slightly different.
The ‘A’ Series Royal Oak - which features the distinctive ‘AP’ logo positioned at 6 o’clock - is the most rare and has become the most sought after.
The present A-series example is a superb and extremely charismatic specimen.
Its 39 mm case diameter provides an outstanding wrist presence, with its original Gay Frères stainless steel bracelet taut and wonderfully preserved.
The case is unpolished and the original dial has beautifully aged with amazing iridescent gilt reflexes that spin around the dial surface depending of the angle of the light.
Also the hands and luminous hour markers have acquired an attractive deep yellowish hue.
Moreover this specific example is the one published in the book “ Royal Oak: 39 The Book ” edited by Rizzoli, which represents the world’ most important book dedicated to Royal Oak.
Case n.: A 1xxx
Calibre: Automatic, cal. 2121
Diameter: 39 mm
Box & Papers: none
Manufactured in: 1972
For us, the safe delivery of our important timepieces is of utmost importance. With an established and growing clientele all around the world and years of experience, we offer you a 100% secure delivery wherever you are located. We monitor every single aspect of the shipping process of the watch, until it safely arrives at your doorstep.
Kindly keep in mind:
- We entrust the door-to-door delivery of the timepieces to “Ferrari Logistics”, the worldwide leader in transportation of High-end Jewelry & Watches
- The shipping is insured 100% on the value of the watch
- We personally take care of the packaging of the timepieces, in specialized protective boxes
CERTIFICATE OF AUTHENTICITY
All of our timepieces are meticulously examined to guarantee that all of their parts are original. Each watch is delivered with an in-house Certificate of Authenticity, stating all relevant information of the timepiece: description, reference, serial number, special features.
- Items are sent fully insured after receipt of funds.
- We accept payments via wire transfer only.
- In case of returns, the client has 3 days from the day of the receipt to contact us, in order to arrange terms and procedures.
- Refunds are provided only if the watch is returned in the exact same conditions which you received , within 3 working days after inspection of the returned item.