The black Pre-Daytona ref. 6238
Breathtaking example of steel Rolex chronograph ref. 6238, manufactured in 1965.
Launched in 1960, reference 6238 is known as the ‘Pre-Daytona’.
The reference was the manufacture’s last traditional chronograph wristwatch to feature a smooth bezel.
The tachometer was furthermore displayed directly on the dial, like its predecessor reference 6234.
However, its successors such as reference 6239 or 6241, all feature a tachometer bezel, with the insert either made of steel or acrylic. The reference was fitted with a Valjoux 72 caliber.
Predominantly fitted with silvered dials, reference 6238 was also available with a matte or black lacquer dial. Collectors particularly favor these special dials, due to their stylish and unusual appearance, which sets them apart from the classic examples of reference 6238.
The present ‘Pre-Daytona’ features a wonderful and sought after matte black dial, which is very rare compared to its silvered counterparts.
This example also features contrasting gilt graphics, which have aged to a warm ivory tone, giving the watch a wonderful vintage appearance.
The luminous, still round and fully formed, has turned light yellow with patina. This is very consistent with the luminous on the hands, which have also turned light yellow in tone.
The case has been preserved in excellent condition with sharp edges and milled finish to the top of the lugs. The lugs carry full proportions, and the pushers are original to the watch.
It definitely represents the emblem of understated elegance and a dream watch for discerning collectors.
Case n.: 1.226xxx
Cal.: Manual. cal. 72B
Box & Papers: none
Manufactured in: 1965
For us, the safe delivery of our important timepieces is of utmost importance. With an established and growing clientele all around the world and years of experience, we offer you a 100% secure delivery wherever you are located. We monitor every single aspect of the shipping process of the watch, until it safely arrives at your doorstep.
Kindly keep in mind:
- We entrust the door-to-door delivery of the timepieces to “Ferrari Logistics”, the worldwide leader in transportation of High-end Jewelry & Watches
- The shipping is insured 100% on the value of the watch
- We personally take care of the packaging of the timepieces, in specialized protective boxes
CERTIFICATE OF AUTHENTICITY
All of our timepieces are meticulously examined to guarantee that all of their parts are original. Each watch is delivered with an in-house Certificate of Authenticity, stating all relevant information of the timepiece: description, reference, serial number, special features.
- Items are sent fully insured after receipt of funds.
- We accept payments via wire transfer only.
- In case of returns, the client has 3 days from the day of the receipt to contact us, in order to arrange terms and procedures.
- Refunds are provided only if the watch is returned in the exact same conditions which you received , within 3 working days after inspection of the returned item.